Sunday, September 5, 2010

Take 2! Or 3 or 4: Comparing Movie Maker 2 and Wax

I really wanted to like Wax, the free video-editing software that I chose for my recent class at Lamar University. After downloading it, I found that the initial look of it was deceptively easy. Nevertheless, after doing my usual "check it out without looking at a manual" procedure, I decided it may be something for which I needed to look for a YouTube video for a bit of instruction.


 

After watching three experts sail through their tutorials on Wax, I thought I was ready---after all, none of them were any older than my 12-year old son! Wrong again! I finally downloaded a movie of my son running during our annual Shannon Harber Relays, an event with a long history in Eldorado. About all I could do successfully is make the video so bizarre looking that it would have been mistaken for an awful B-movie on the SciFi channel.

So back to Movie Maker 2 I go. I am happy with the results I get in Movie Maker 2. It is easy to manipulate video, pictures, and audio. The special effects are such that they make sense, rather than create havoc as I did in Wax. Movie Maker 2 may be simple, but, unless you are a digital native, in my opinion, it IS the best free video-editing software you can enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment