Sunday, September 5, 2010

The Trials and Tribulations of Web Conferencing

Honestly, with only a couple of exceptions, web conferencing during my short time (since February 2010) in the Lamar Academic Partnerships has proven quite troublesome and frustrating. Although I realize that dealing with technology requires flexibility, some of the experiences I have had have gone past what I would deem acceptable.

For example, the web conference I could attend this week was Saturday at 11:00 am. Although I had already viewed the links for the previous web conferences held earlier in the week, I wanted to do the right thing and attend one in real-time. I signed into the Adobe Connect Pro meeting at 10:45 and received the message that the administrator would let me in shortly. I waited and waited. At about 10:55, I posted on our Facebook page to see if anyone else was having the same problem. Sure enough, there was one other person attempting to get into the meeting with the same outcome. I emailed my instructional associate and Dr. Abernathy. Finally, after waiting ten more minutes, I determined that the meeting had been canceled.

Later, that afternoon, I received an email from Dr. Abernathy saying that she, in fact, had been in the meeting with another student, but no one else asked for admittance.

This has not been the first time that I have had difficulty with the web conferences through Lamar. It is difficult and frustrating when I try to carve out this time in my schedule and the meeting does not work out.

When I have successfully logged in during the other classes, I have received pertinent information that I would not know had I not been in the conference. Even if I do not personally have a question, it helps to hear others questions and comments.

All in all, I think web conferencing is the way to go. When I worked at the ESCXV in San Angelo, web conferencing was such a great thing when it came about as it saved money and time. My board for which I am vice-president of membership and affiliates just recently started web conferencing. Again, the money and time saved is worth what may be lost when meeting face-to-face.

Nevertheless, with web conferencing, communication prior to the meetings is key. If the link does not work, the attendee is left not knowing how to join. Also, there needs to be an understanding of the learning curve that many of us have when entering a web conference. Maybe a mock conference could help those who have not participated before.

Web conferencing certainly has its place in the present and the future. We need to work together to communicate clearly how this will help us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment